Mumbai Matinee: Catch a glimpse of St. Anthony's Girls High School in Shammi Kapoor's 1969 film 'Tumse Achha Kaun Hai'

Another interesting story from Chembur that not many people remember, unless you studied at St. Anthony's Girls High School or O.L.P.S. High School in Chembur back in 1968-69. It's connected to these movie posters you're seeing below. Read on to know how. 



Independence Day
Independence Day got me thinking about the flag hoisting ceremony from school. My school which happens to OLPS Boys High School, Chembur - the one next to St. Anthony’s Girls High School. 

Image



Tumse Achha Kaun Hai
The scene above from the 1969 movie 'Tumse Achha Kaun Hai' starring Shammi Kapoor, Babita Shivdasani, Pran, Mehmood, Aruna Irani, Lalita Pawar is of the song ‘Ganga Meri Maa Ka Naam’ - where you can see Shammi Kapoor singing the patriotic song as the students queue up in rows just like for Independence Day or Republic Day celebrations. 

Image

Image

Student turned actors
The students you see in the film are not actors, but rather the ones actually studying there during the academic year of 1968-69.

The two schools share a boundary wall, and are convent girls & boys schools. However, for this song students from both institutions were brought together. You can see the wall here behind the flag pole, and the boys school building too (partially).

Image

The Kapoors and Chembur 
It’s no secret that the Kapoors grew up in Chembur, and also ran the famous R.K.Studios here (pictured below). Why were the songs shot here? What’s the story behind it? I’m not too sure. The only reason I can think of, is that it was super close to their home, although that might not be it :p

File:Chembur r.k. studio2.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Scenes from the School Playground
The houses you see in the back of this scene still stand (well, most of it). Although, I can't recall any of their names right now (maybe I'll update it here once the quarantine is over). 

Image

Image

Image

Watch the clip
You can listen to the song here. Or watch the film on Zee5 or here.


Photo Credits
All screenshots from the dailymotion clip, since I don’t have a Zee5 subscription currently. Colored photo of St. Anthony’s Girls High School from Justdial. (Sorry, I just couldn’t find another that matched well). Photo of R.K.Studios from wikimedia commons. 

Fun Fact
My dad & my uncle were also studying at OLPS when this song was filmed, but damn it - they didn’t make it. Please find below two more photos of OLPS, Chembur from back in the day. If anyone has photos of St. Anythony’s Girls High School, please do share using #BimblingInBombay or write to me on bawmbe@gmail.com. 






If you would like to share this on twitter, click here to see the thread.

Hey! Thank you for reading this.
It's me, bawmbe. Hrishikesh Singh, on paper. I'm the one behind these stories. If you enjoyed this story, I suggest you take a look at this one I wrote about Belvedere, the heritage bungalow at the corner of OLPS Church in Chembur.  

I also click pretty pictures of Mumbai. But someone once said that these photos have many stories, and stories need to be told. So, here I am writing one new tale at a time as your fellow Bombay lover. By the way, I'm at bawmbe@gmail.com in case you wanna discuss anything from history to heritage over a cup of Mint Tea. (the tea is of course, optional) 

Comments

  1. St Anthony's high school memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this brought back some of them. Please do share if you've got any more stories.

      Delete
    2. My school memories are all refreshed thank you sir for sharing such a great story

      Delete
    3. Always good to hear this. If you're interested in more, please do check out the article on Belvedere too. It's the house right at the corner of OLPS Church.

      Delete
  2. It brought back fond memories from my school days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. Thanks for sharing this. My name is Rajesh Shetty and I am an alumni of OLPS High School. Continue to visit Chembur, as my aunt stays in St. Anthony's Road (Opposite the girl's high school).

    Check out this 1967 video of Bombay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVcT2pe0jqc). Towards the end, there is a shot of Diamond Garden and also of Dev Chaya (which is still there). Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the clip, and also for reading this - From a fellow OLPS alumni.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this great article... A revival of memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking time out to read this.

      Delete

  5. I was also an ex.student of St.Anthony's. I was there during the picturisation of this song, huddled somewhere in the north. A student of Grade 8! Brings back fond memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thrilled to hear this. Thank you so much for taking time out to read this. It's always a pleasure to travel back in time and dig out these memories.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work. I used to live bang opp the school. In the 1972 movie Rampur ka laxman, there is footage of the golf club and diamond garden in the song' Albela re'. Go on and unearth more such gems. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some photos of st Anthony Girls school, may i share with you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment